The Three Basics
1. BitTorrent is used for transferring files.
2. It is peer-to-peer in nature.
3. Users connect to each other directly to send and receive portions of the file.
The system relies on a central server (called a tracker) which coordinates the action of all the peers. The tracker is usually part of the package of a torrent website such as www.torrentspy.com
The Bittorrent Philosophy
The key philosophy of BitTorrent is that users should upload (seed) at the same time they are downloading (leaching.) Therefore the bandwidth (speed of your internet connection)is utilised as efficiently as possible.
Bittorrent works better as the number of people interested in a certain file increases. So the more popular a file is the quicker everyone can get it.
Read on for more... Including:
* A handy Analogy as to how Bittorrent works
I will post "How to become a Bittorrenter soon"
Please note that I do not condone any illegal uses of bittorrent.
An Analogy for the bittorrent system
1. Visualize a group of people sitting at a table.
2. Each person at the table can both talk and listen to any other.
3. These people are each trying to get a complete copy of a book.
4. Each person has different pages of the same book
5. The People Share copies of their pages and everyone gives copies
of the pages that they have until everyone has a copy of everypage available at the table.
6. The Seeders role.
He has a complete copy of the book from the beginning, and so doesn't need anything sent to him. He sends out pages that no one else in the group has. At first, when everyone has just arrived, they all must talk to him to get their first set of pages. However, the people are smart enough to not all get the same pages from him.
After a short while they all have most of the book amongst themselves, even if no one person has the whole thing.
In this manner, this one person can share a book that he has with many other people, without having to give a full copy to everyone. He can instead give out different parts to different people, and they will be able to share it amongst themselves. This person who we've referred to as 'S' is called a seed in the terminology of BitTorrent.
Just a point - Does the image below show an ancient greek using a photocopier?!!