18.3.10

Museum of Life is on BBC2 Now!

From www.ironammonite.com

Since my time researching at the Natural History Museum in London I have had a passion for this unique and esteemed institution that resides in one of our greatest and well known buildings (Nov 2009). I was especially excited to hear that the BBC were producing a series looking behind the scenes and I sit here anxiously awaiting its broadcast. 'Museum of Life' starts tonight at 8pm on BBC2. Peculiarly it's presented by Jimmy Doherty but I'm not going to let that put me off!

I really hope that it does the museum justice.

Visit the official BBC website. 



 

Noah's Ark in Kensington

While I'm pushing this promising new series I want to also tell you about a discovery that I made in the BBC archives. In 1970 the BBC produced an episode of Horizon called 'Noah's Ark in Kensington' - you could say that it's a version of tonight's programme from an age gone by. A charming film with a faded sepia look that gives it an air of being produced in World War II. The people who feature in it are lovable parodies of the eccentric British upper-class scientist.

Here's a few screenshots I need to dash as 'Museum of Life' is just starting....


The 1970s Natural History Museum security lining up for inspection by the 'Major' in the morning. http://twitpic.com/18zh3e


Where's the Diplodocus? According to Richard Fortey it was moved from the reptile gallery, now the Dinosaur Hall, to be the centrepiece of the main hall in 1979. http://twitpic.com/18ziov



No comments:

Post a Comment